On August 8, 2019, Madison elected officials, including state Representative Chris Taylor, Dane County Board Supervisor Yogesh Chawla, and City of Madison Alder Marsha Rummel, expressed serious concerns regarding the proposed Air National Guard expansion and implementation of a F-35 program to bring the fighter jets to Truax field on the near eastside of Madison. Truax field is one of five sites being considered for the F-35 program, and one of two recommended sites previously announced by the Air National Guard.
An estimated 64 additional military personnel would be housed at Truax under this program.
The draft Environmental Impact Statement made findings that minorities, children, and low-income communities on Madison's north and east side would face significant disproportionate impacts should Truax field be chosen to house the F-35 fighter jets. Included in this impact would potentially be the displacement of 292 persons who are currently living in a corridor that would be negatively impacted by noise and where "housing is incompatible absent an exception."
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- JFK Air Cargo EXPO 2020 Finalized
- 360 Show Time Launches Free Channels on RokuTV
- Lightstone Solutions Announces 2020-2021 On-Site Tribal Gaming Commission Training Series
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Blain's Farm and Fleet to Move Monroe Store Location
- Megha Dontha Narrates Audiobook Version of Best-Selling Startup Book 'The 60 Minute Startup'
This is due to the conclusion that "[B]ased on context and intensity, the change in the noise environment associated with the Proposed Action would be considered significant in the area surrounding the airfield."
Rep. Taylor, Supervisor Chawla, and Alder Rummel issued the following statements in response:
"We are very concerned about the Air National Guard's own conclusion that the F-35 program disparately impacts low-income communities and children. The anticipated significant increase in air traffic noise is estimated to affect a wider swath of our community, including 2,215 individuals. Included in this estimation is approximately 292 individuals currently living in an area which would be incompatible with anticipated increased noise levels.
Economic development should not disproportionately negatively impact the most vulnerable communities, our children, and the quality of life in our neighborhoods. We will be diligently trying to find more specific answers to these concerning consequences, including which specific communities are impacted and possible displacement, as this process moves forward.
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Madison: Citywide Plowing Tonight, No Snow Emergency Declared
- IAOP and The Rockefeller Foundation Announce Winners of 2020 Global Impact Sourcing Award
- Madison: Draft Oscar Mayer Special Area Plan Released
- Daniel Imperato CEO of Octobotic Inc. Taps Vinod Sujan Fmr. Oracle Exec. & Aarzoo founder
- La Salud Pública de Madison y el Condado de Dane implementa una iniciativa nueva para ayudar a los clientes del programa WIC con la tarifa de $40 para el registro de vehículos
We urge our Madison community to make your voice heard. The Air National Guard is hosting an open house on September 12th at Exhibition Hall at the Alliant Energy Center from 5pm to 6:30pm and a formal presentation from 6:30pm to 8pm. Comments can also be submitted on-line until September 27th. This is the time for the public to raise their voices about this proposal."
- Alder Marsha Rummel608-772-4555Representative Chris Taylor608-266-5342Supervisor Yogesh Chawla608-438-5965
Latest on Wisconsin Eagle
- Viscosity North America Welcomes Two More From the Oracle ACE Program: Gary Gordhamer & Sean Scott
- 2020 ITAD Benchmarking Report shows 15% decrease in average values for retired IT assets
- NerdWallet Selects Fairway As Winner Of 2020 "Best-of" Award
- Vulcan Boot Camp Receives 2019 Savannah Award
- Golf Gum® and the Liquid Core® Delivery System, Capable of Fueling Better Scores, Announce Debut of SPACE STATION® Distribution Device at PGA Show
- MobilDrTech, Inc. enhances their medical product line with Acumentrics' Pack-Power™ System
- W.J. Castle, P.E. & Assoc., P.C. (CASTLE) has been honored by New Jersey Alliance for Action as a 2019 Distinguished Engineering Award Recipient
- Broccoli City Reveals 2020 Festival Lineup And Announces Its Return To The Nation's Capital For Eighth Annual Celebration Of Music, Art And Culture
- Newly Engaged? Congratulations … and Let's Talk About Wedding Flowers!
- The Retirement Advantage, Inc. Continues Expansion of National Footprint with Acquisition of FSA
- Mind Gear Studios Founder starts new company Shrimpboot Games
- Forum on Film Finance, Production & Distribution to be Held on Sunday, February 9th in Los Angeles
- MC Companies Wins 'Rookie Fundraiser Team of the Year' by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation For National Sponsorship Impact
- FMCSA Clearinghouse effective date is January 6, 2020
- Nude Envie's New Cheek Collection
- Save time and money with a NESCO slow cooker
- Quality data leads to optimal design of heat transfer rolls
- Rented.com and MyVR Announce Revenue Management Partnership
- IAOP Announces 2020 Leadership Hall of Fame Inductees
- Boarding School Crewed Vessel To Set Sail On Second Transatlantic Journey