Earlier this year I and many members of our Common Council signed on to former President Barak Obama's Reimagining Policing Pledge. President Obama is calling upon local officials to review and reform use of force policies, redefine public safety, and combat systemic racism within law enforcement.
As we work towards these goals, my office has kept the Obama Foundation up to date on the City's efforts to reimagine public safety. This includes the long-term, community-based effort to pass historic legislation establishing the Office of the Independent Police Monitor and the Civilian Oversight Board. It also includes more recent efforts in my proposed budget to create a Violence Prevention Unit in our City-County public health department and to innovate with an alternative Crisis Response Team for behavioral health emergencies.
President Obama saluted Madison's efforts around the Civilian Oversight Board on his Twitter feed @BarackObama highlighting how "community groups will now choose the members of a new civilian police oversight board, which must include at least one member who was previously incarcerated."
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Jewelers Mutual Group acquires Wexler Insurance Agency / IJB
- Fine Art, Jewelry & Decorative Arts at Auction this Autumn at Shapiro Auctions
- American University of Antigua College of Medicine and University of the Southwest Partner to Offer Students Medical School Opportunity
- City of Milwaukee Office of Violence Prevention and Local Business Team Up to Hand Out Masks Day Before Registration Deadline
- From Voting Systems to COVID-19 Pandemic, Industrial and Systems Engineers Tackle Tough Topics on International Podcast
The President also recognized a Task Force on 21st Century Policing in Washtenaw County, Michigan, and the Northwestern University researchers' partnership with Evanston Police in Illinois on use of force decisions.
Madison's ordinance creating the Civilian Oversight Board passed unanimously at the September 1st Common Council meeting, thanks to the diligent efforts of Madison Police Department Policy & Procedure Review Ad Hoc Committee and Alders Moreland, Bidar and Kemble. Community groups nominated dozens of potential members, and dozens more community members nominated themselves. A robust slate of appointees were unanimously approved by the Common Council at their October 6th meeting.
You can see the list of appointees here. The Board will begin meeting in November 2020.
- Katie Crawley, 608-335-7071, firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest on Wisconsin Eagle
- Madison: Part with your Pumpkin After Halloween: Try Composting
- ILoveLeasing.com® Spherexx CRM Gains Twenty-Four Companies in 2020
- The Pfister Hotel, Saint Kate – The Arts Hotel, Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, and The Garland Named Top Hotels and Resorts by Condé Nast Traveler's annual Readers' Choice Awards
- Madison: Mayor Rhodes-Conway Selects Reuben Sanon as Deputy Mayor
- Ace Comic Con Announces Limited Edition Exclusives Of The Boys #1 Comics From Dynamite Entertainment
- Northwestern Mutual Announces Record $6.2 Billion Dividend Payout to Policyowners
- Want to Buy Website Traffic? Here's What You Should Know
- Richmond, VA-Based Digital Forensic Firm Launches Remote Mobile Forensic Data Acquisition
- CEO Coaching International Sees Record Attendance at Make Big Happen® Connections Virtual Forum
- Great Grandma Invents a New Concept in Bridges
- InControl Medical LLC to Launch Regulation D (506c) for Significant Growth Initiative
- Insivia Re-launches SaaS Founder Show
- PrimeArray Systems is thrilled to offer the must-have NAS features of 2021
- Syxsense Experiences Record-Breaking Growth As Millions of Remote Workers Create Cyber Security Demand
- Madison: Options for Voters with Absentee Ballots to Return
- Aries Industries Strengthens International Market Reach With New Alberta Dealer
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Yosemite Pathology Group on Recent Acquisition
- Standard Process and Integria Healthcare Sign 10-Year Extended Partnership Agreement
- 190 Health Systems Launch Epic This Fall -- The Largest Go-Live Period Ever
- Life and Times of Alex Esguerra, Now Officially on Paperback