The application process for at-large nominations for four (4) seats on the City of Madison Police Civilian Oversight Board is now open. The deadline for submitting nominations or self-nominations is Friday, September 16, 2020.
The Civilian Oversight Board was established on September 1, 2020, when the Madison Common Council passed MGO sections 5.20 and 5.19 creating it and the Office of the Independent Police Monitor.
The mission of the Civilian Oversight Board is to "provide within the City of Madison a body that is independent from the MPD…to review and make recommendations regarding police discipline, use of force, and other policies and activities, including related to rules, hiring, training, community relations, and complaint processes".
"I am encouraging a broad diversity of people to apply for positions both through the nominating organizations and for the at-large seats," said Mayor Rhodes-Conway.
"This is a historic moment in our city to see representation of those who are not often heard or seen to serve on the Civilian Oversight Board. This is a great opportunity for City of Madison residents to have a seat at the table where their concerns relative to law enforcement can be heard. I encourage all to apply to serve on the newly created Civilian Oversight Board," said Council President Sheri Carter.
MGO 5.20 requires that the Civilian Oversight Board have a diverse composition in the following intersectional areas of lived experience and identities:
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Jewelers Mutual Group acquires Wexler Insurance Agency / IJB
- Fine Art, Jewelry & Decorative Arts at Auction this Autumn at Shapiro Auctions
- American University of Antigua College of Medicine and University of the Southwest Partner to Offer Students Medical School Opportunity
- City of Milwaukee Office of Violence Prevention and Local Business Team Up to Hand Out Masks Day Before Registration Deadline
- From Voting Systems to COVID-19 Pandemic, Industrial and Systems Engineers Tackle Tough Topics on International Podcast
- Mental health
- Substance abuse and/or arrest or conviction records
- Racial and ethnic diversity, including: African American; Asian; Latinx; Native American
- Members of the LGBTQ community; and affiliation with an organization in the field of: Mental Health; Youth Advocacy; and AODA.The Council and Mayor will also consider the following additional lived experiences and identities when making appointments: age, socioeconomic status, gender, geographic residence, and work experience. Individual members may represent more than one of the categories listed above.
Civilian Oversight Board members must be Madison residents when they are appointed, and may not have ever been employed by the MPD, be an immediate family member of current or former MPD employees, or worked as a law enforcement officer within the State of Wisconsin in the ten (10) years prior to becoming a Member of the Board. For purposes of this ordinance "immediate family" means an individual's spouse or designated family or registered partner or an individual's relative by marriage, lineal descent or adoption.
To apply for consideration for one of four (4) At-Large Civilian Oversight Board seats (two (2) voting members and two (2) alternates), please complete the following:
- Application for Police Civilian Oversight Board Appointment (available online on the Common Council webpage and the Alder Workgroup to Develop Logistical and Operational Details for MPD Independent Civilian Oversight webpage) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org with Civilian Oversight Board Application in the subject line, or print and send it to: Attn: COB Application; Common Council Office; 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.; Madison, WI 53703; or FAX to: 608-267-8669
- If you are being nominated by a person or group, please request that the nominating individual or organization provide supporting documentation (letter of support for the applicant) to email@example.com with Civilian Oversight Board Application in the subject line
- Complete the Statement of Interests form online
For additional information about the Police Civilian Oversight Board and the process of creating it, please visit the webpage of the webpage of the Alder Workgroup to Develop the Logistical and Operational Details for MPD Independent Civilian Oversight.
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Public Health Madison & Dane County Expands Eligibility Criteria for Drive Through Flu Clinic
- Wooask S01 - World's Most Powerful AI Voice Recorder
- Shifting priorities release personal growth in fourth short story of "Discovering Kindness" series
- Lee Doubleo Drops Debut Single 'SLUSHIE' with Sexy Halloween Club Banger Theme
- Near-Death Experience Researcher Seeks Respondents for Online Survey as Part of New Study and Book
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with Civilian Oversight Board Application Questions in the subject line in the subject line, or call the Common Council Office at 608-266-4071 if you have any questions about the application process.
- Karen Kapusta-Pofahl, Comon Council Legislative Analyst, (608) 266-4071, email@example.com
Latest on Wisconsin Eagle
- Aries Industries Strengthens International Market Reach With New Alberta Dealer
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Yosemite Pathology Group on Recent Acquisition
- Standard Process and Integria Healthcare Sign 10-Year Extended Partnership Agreement
- 190 Health Systems Launch Epic This Fall -- The Largest Go-Live Period Ever
- Life and Times of Alex Esguerra, Now Officially on Paperback
- Haddonfield NJ Zoning Board Approves Real Estate Office Lounge in Retail Zone on Kings Highway
- Intern Pursuit Receives Investment From The 5th Floor Avalon Innovation Center Fund
- New Versiti Assay Evaluates Ability of a Patient's Von Willebrand Factor (VWF) to Support Platelet Binding
- Madison: What Happens When the Polls Close
- JUSTLAW tackles systemic access to justice problem
- Meet the Controversial Artist Making a Difference in Up-State New York
- Dolby Atmos Now Available for Wohler's iAM-12G-SDI
- Madison: Five Mayors, One Challenge
- Filene Launches Center of Excellence to Measure Community Development in Financial Services
- Gempler's Launches Private Label Brand: Sugar River
- Catch brings integrated health insurance enrollment into the full suite of portable beneﬁts
- Local "We Buy Houses" Company Details how Covid-19 is Affecting the Housing Market in NC
- Mayor Announces Interim General Manager of Madison Water Utility
- Exact Sciences Commends Task Force for Draft Updated Guidelines that include Colorectal Cancer Screening Beginning at Age 45
- Greeting Card Association Announces Virtual Line Up