- UNice Hair Announces Black Friday 2022 Deals: Up To $100 Off
- Get Doodle Videos - The Best Whiteboard Animation Software - For Only $49 This Black Friday & Cyber Week
- Sidow Sobrino's New Song and Video Celebrating Christ at Christmas Is Out Now
Peter Talen, a UW-La Crosse student visiting his brother in Madison, died in the fire. Talen's death prompted an overhaul of the City of Madison's smoke alarm ordinance, now named in his honor. The ordinance now requires homes to be equipped with tamper-resistant alarms powered by 10-year lithium ion batteries.
On this solemn anniversary, the Madison Fire Department and the Talen family ask everyone to check their smoke alarms. Make sure your model meets the requirements of the Peter Talen Memorial Ordinance. Mount your smoke alarms in and outside of every bedroom or sleeping area, as well as on every floor.
"Every day we carry on Peter's legacy by reminding people not to tamper with their smoke alarms; to use proper ash trays and put cigarettes all the way out; to know two ways out of a room, no matter where you are; and to get out as soon as you hear the smoke alarm," said Patty Talen, mother of Peter Talen. "Simple acts like these can prevent another tragedy from affecting your family."
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Madison: Mayor and Alders Propose to Allow More Development Near High Capacity Transit
- Nimble Therapeutics names Pete Gough as Chief Scientific Officer
- Ace Hardware Sees 33% Online Sales Increase For Cyber 5 Weekend In 2022
- KiwiQA, Australia based testing major, launches KiwiQA.io
- Board Appoints Conor Moran to Lead Madison Public Library Foundation
Talen's death was the fifth fire fatality in Madison in 2007. The unprecedented number of fire-related deaths that year spurred efforts to update and enhance the city's smoke alarm ordinance. The Peter Talen Memorial ordinance, championed by Alder Mike Verveer, District 4, passed unanimously in the Madison Common Council in 2009 and took effect August 15, 2010.
"The Peter Talen Memorial Ordinance is as relevant and important today as it was 15 years ago," said Alder Mike Verveer. "Having this ordinance in place has made a profound impact on the safety and wellbeing of our community. We live with greater assurance that our homes, apartments, and dorms are equipped with working smoke alarms; the absence of this ordinance would have potentially tragic consequences."
Since 2007, downtown Madison has seen a boom in the construction of high-rise residential buildings. All of these buildings are protected by automatic fire sprinklers. Requiring new buildings to be equipped with these lifesaving systems, and encouraging property owners to retrofit older buildings, is paramount to saving lives, property, and the environment. Automatic fire sprinklers have undoubtedly contributed to the low number of fire-related injuries and deaths in our city in recent years.
More on Wisconsin Eagle
- Northwestern Mutual Strengthens Milwaukee's Cultural Scene with Nearly $3 Million in Grants
- Alder Syed Abbas Announces Resignation from Madison Common Council Effective December 1, 2022
- Madison: Nonpartisan program brings together election officials, designers, technologists, and other experts to support and celebrate excellence in U.S. election administration.
- Barcoding, Inc. Joins Zebra Technologies' PartnerConnect Mobile Robotics Specialization
- Advantage Anywhere Launches a Joint Venture and Licensing Partner Program for the Senior Living Industry
"Sprinklers catch a fire before it grows out of control and often extinguishes the fire before firefighters arrive," said Fire Marshal Ed Ruckriegel. "Whether you own or rent, choose a home that's protected by automatic fire sprinklers."
To commemorate the 15th anniversary of Peter Talen's death, the Talen family convenes in Madison to spread the word about fire safety to today's students on the UW-Madison campus.
"We continue to share this message in Peter's honor, here and across the state of Wisconsin," Patty Talen said. "It is our hope that people, especially young people, will remember this tragic story and take steps to ensure it never happens again."
Learn about Peter Talen's story and get more fire safety tips on our website.
Latest on Wisconsin Eagle
- Massachusetts-based IOKA Skin+Science launches Cruelty-Free, Vegan, All-Natural Skincare Line
- The South Florida International Film Festival Awards for October 2022
- City of Madison is a Top 10 Digital City!
- Bitcoin in Unique Leadership Position with Ethereum's Abandonment of Proof of Work*
- The Metal Shop Announces a Grand Celebration of its Successful 20-Year Milestone in The Metal Fabrication Business
- Madison: Reduced Service on November 24 & 25
- Madison: Hosts Virtual Public Meeting for Discussion December 7, 2023, 6:00 to 7:30 PM
- Madison: The final day for 2022 the Olin Avenue facility is Sunday, November 27, 2022
- Meta Investment and Management
- Vote on Product Hunt - $1 Million USD AesirX License Giveaway!
- 'Spot Detective' – Check your spots this summer
- CA CPS Defense Attorney, Walter Shaw, makes great momentum in protecting parental rights
- Madison: Passenger Rail Station Study Kick-off Meeting
- Sonic Foundry® Secures $8.5 Million in Debt Financing
- Madison: Trash & Recycling Collection Schedule for the 2022 Thanksgiving Holiday
- Replace Google Analytics for free with AesirX
- Calvetta Phair, Founder of 'The On It Foundation' - National Technology Non-Profit, Qualify to Distribute Google Career Certificate Scholarships
- The Data Economics Company and Smallholder Data Services announce breakthrough in solving data traceability in regenerative agriculture
- New "Black Friday Knife Deals" Article Out Now. One Is Free?
- Certified Nutraceuticals' KollaJell™ Launches in Mexico Under Sesēn Company Brand First-of-its-kind jellyfish collagen